2010 - 2012: Restoring the Jellerson One-Room Schoolhouse
The Jellerson School restoration project continues in 2012, with the objective of completing the project this year.
Jellerson: A One-Room School on Merrymeeting Bay
In 1791, the selectmen of Bowdoinham voted to divide the town into three districts. “District No. 3 included all the Inhabitants west of the Abagadassett River to the East Branch of the Cathance River, otherwise known as Denham mill stream. £10.00 was divided equally among the three districts.” (page 100 The History of the Town of Bowdoinham: 1962-1912 by Silas Adams)
The first school house in District #3 was built west of the Abagadassett River a distance north of the Browns Point Road under the supervision of George Maxwell and George Thomas.
In 1850 the old school house was replaced with the current school house, built several hundred yards down Center’s Point Road, on the west side of the road. In 1910 it was renovated and moved to its present location on the south east corner of Center’s Point and Brown’s Point Roads.
It served the students of East Bowdoinham until 1946 when it was closed due to lack of pupils. It was the home of the Bowdoinham Rod and Gun Club from 1956 until its dissolution in the late 1970’s. The building and land became the property of the Bowdoinham Historical Society in 1987. It is Bowdoinham's sole remaining one-room school out of 18.
Project News, Summer 2012:
We will an Open House and Dedication of the restored Jellerson School
Friday, Sept 14, 2012, 2-5 pm
•We hope you will join us, and we’d love help with this event!
Please contact us if you would like to volunteer to work on this project. (Don't assume we have you on the contact list unless you have contacted us recently about volunteering.)
(in no particular order)
- Mike Delyra funded by Jack Curley and Margo Frost did extensive sill and timber work in 2004-2005.
- Wayne Dorr and Frank Connors boarded the south wall and tarped the roof.
- Tony Cox rebuilt the main entry door.
- Tom DeForeest and Chet Gillis built the door frame and installed the door.
- Daphne White has been rebuilding and reglazing windows.
- Chet Gillis, Leslie Anderson, Betsy Steen, and Buster Prout scraped and painted the exterior.
- Steve Hooper and many volunteers worked on lifting the building and installing new stone footings.
- Doug Tourtelotte for grading the lot around the building.
- Tom DeForeest and Chet Gillis installed the floor joists and underlayment.
- Leslie Anderson, Tom and Betty DeForeest, Billie Oakes and Glenna Morin primed the clapboards on both sides.
- Tom DeForeest and Sam Stetson spent many hours removing wood debris from the site, and Sam has dealt with roof debris and kept the grounds looking good.
- Marion Bagley donated a pair of school desks (see the photos below.) These came from the Coombs School when the upper grades moved to the Community School in the late 50's, and might have come originally from one of the rural schools. See the photos below.
- Michael Egan (Egan and Sons Arborists, 666-5671) removed the two big pine trees that were looming over the building.
- Many people have helped with the clean-out of the interior of the structure. Special thanks to Tom DeForeest, Sam Stetson, and Jen Foley.
- Chet and Jeanne Gillis donated four antique school desks and a slate.
- Betsy Steen donated one antique school desk.
- Bev Hughes donated a pair of antique school desks.
- Sarah Findley, donated a pair of antique school desks and a pair of benches.
- John Curtis donated school books.
- A crew of people helped move crushed stone into the space below the floor.
- Tom DeForeest and Chet Gillis clapboarded the south face.
- Donations in memory of Diane Waters per her request (2002).
- Hancock Lumber: 1000 linear feet of pine clapboards.
- Hammond Lumber: 300 linear feet of primed pine clapboard.
- Liz Smith and Cathy Reynolds donated school books.
- Sandy Hickey donated a quilt, which was raffled, and also a picture that hung in the Ridge School and a desk bell.
- Ryan Jennings donated a number of ink wells and a lard bucket (lunch bucket).
- Nan Curtis has made and donated 9 pinafores.
- Jeannine Beaudoin, Steve Bunn, and Brigid Palmer gave time as experts for our ‘Antiques Street Show’ to benefit Jellerson School.
- Todd Woofenden - work on the building
- Lenny Pelletier - Joint Cementing the school room and museum
- Albert Stehle - Donating his labor on the chimney
- Town of Bowdoinham - Teacher's Desk
- Susan Brown - Shingles
- Lynn Spiro, Town Landing Place $500 from Cruise-In 2011, Shingles
- Denham Ward and Debbie Lipscomb - Donated 2 original Jellerson double desks
- Elizabeth Frumer - Donated 1 original Jellerson double desk
- Loy Mitchell - slate that belonged to his mother, Hazel Browne Mitchell, slate possibly used at Jellerson
- Jeanne Gillis -Running 2011 Yard Sale to benefit Jellerson
- Calvin Temple - Windows and doors from his house on Spring Street
- 250th Quilt Artists - especially Joanne Savoie for selling quilt names (benefit Jellerson) and Nan Curtis for work above and beyond the call of duty
- Robert Miner - monetary gift
- Patty Melander - two trailer loads of Bowoinham-cut boards
Bruce Bickford of Carl A. Bickford Lumber - planing the boards at no cost